Friday 17 September 2010

15th Sep

15th September

Wooop its taken two bloody months, but i think ive finally been accepted, im no longer ‘Muzongo’ im now ‘Nigerian sister’. Which although annoys me a little cause I don’t really feel Nigerian but i think this is a better label than white black girl. Lol. Except word has gone round that im Nigerian and so very tom dick and harry tries to chat me up with some Nigerian phase that they’ve learnt from some nollywood film.

Today was again spent in theatre. I fainted once this morning, cause the theatres here aren’t air conditioned, and day time temps are reaching thirty. I did have breakfast and was adequately hydrated so I reckon it was the temperature. I assisted in one removal of a thyroid, two hernias and the removal of a keloid. All good in the afternoon I didnt faint and am now allowed to close wounds. Wicked I love asking the scrub nurse for instruments and saying things like ‘can I get a bit more light here’ and ‘can someone mop my brow’. Loser behaviour I know but it makes me feel wicked. And the best part is being lead when im closing a wound. All eyes on me. Love it.

Tomorrow is my last day here in Western Kenya! I am a ready to go home but boy am I gonna miss this place. In the first few weeks I really didnt think I would but today on reflection, life here is sweet. Aside form cockroaches and the lack of foods other than rich carbs , having my mates around, life is good (oh what am I taking about i miss a lot of things about the UK) but essentially, I am saying that I could come back here. Maybe as a Dr higher up in the food chain, so I wouldn’t have to put up with the, oh your a student and so Im not gonna listen to you crap.

No comments: