Sunday 19 September 2010

from the village to 5* kenyas having a laugh

Ok so today is my last day.

I got no sleep yesterday. My bed was uncomfortable, my mossie nets had holes in it, i was bitten twice on the face and couldn’t really have a warm shower. The Nairobi house was became full of middle aged men and women at about 11pm. They were stopping over before climbing mount Kilimanjaro and frankly i couldn’t be impressed by this venture as they all spoke rather loudly, slammed doors and were just an overall nuisance until about 2am. Funny that though, at least the young climbing teams make a rubbish attempt at being quiet by whispering rather loudly, these adults couldn give a shit and so I reminded them at 5am that there were other people sleeping in the house.

So i was picked up at six and taken to the airport. Took about an hour to go through security due to waiting for an exit visa and having the staff scrutinise my passport as i now have horrible picky hair and eyebrows and my picture pretty much depicts a male post chemo cancer victim.

At boarding i began a convo with the staff, which later paid off as, the flight was overbooked and the same member of staff offered me first refusal on the following deal,

£800
5* hotel (kenyas finest)
Free food
Massage
Cinema to myself
Calls and internet
Business class flight tomo

Did i say yes HELL I SAID YES, so here i am in my penthouse suite, double bed, stupidly large bathroom, tv, fridge, etc etc etc.
Amazing.
Ive lived a poor life for two months serious hard times and now I end it off with pure and utter luxery. Someone above is looking down at me and helping me out and for that I am truely fucking grateful.
I spend the beginning of the day sleeping, no mossie net, aircon, soft bed tv on quiet. Woke up and was like, hold on this aint home, this aint the plane, this aint the village either. Lol.
Iv called room service about 6 times, its fucking sweet,

Hello room service
Hi this is ronke in room 714
Hi ronke how can i help you
I would like a glass of wine please
Ok it will be with you shortly
Thank you put it on the room tab
Of course madam your complementary tab will be updated
Ashanti (thankyou)
Karibu (you are welcome)

Fucking sweet man.

So I got up at about three, had a massage and watched sex in the city in a cinema all to my self. This hotel has a swimming pool, ice rink gym spa, business center, etc etc.
I take back everything I said about sex in the city, seeing liza minelli do single ladies was toooo funny. Imagine I laughed out loud and could swear out loud and nobody was in the auditorium. Was a bit scary in there thou kinda kept having flash backs of the scream film where the women gets killed in the cinema! Lol.

Had a pure gluttenous dinner and am now gonna kick back watch tv and hope for a repeat tomo lol. Emma my mate came to the hotel to see me before she goes to mombassa and it was wicked being able to bounce experiences of someone who has been through similar stuff as me

One thing thou, I look like shit, and am dressed like a Kenyan boy, and look like one. Initially nobody gave me respect and I could see the staff talking about me as I approached the reception desk. But I think virgin had briefed them about me being a student dr or just dr and so I have relieved a lot of respect since word has got out. Really shit though, i am not my profession i am a person and i think respect should be shown to people bloody regardless of appearances and employment. I do look like shit thou so who can blame them.
This life aint me though, i feel so out of place, didnt know what knife and forks to use at dinner, couldn’t really keep food on my plate and off my lap, after eating with my hands for so long cutlery is so foreign. Also the richness of the food, man my stomach is doing rolly pollys.
Its been great, I have thoroughly enjoyed this day but although I don’t actually feel lonely and im appreciating all these experiences I have had but man alive a double room with his and hers on everything, pent house and im alone, makes ya think but im not thinking too much. Looking forward to coming home and now I can afford next months rent. YAY!

And dya know whats ironic, im watching ER, the very programme that started my whole medical adventure in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAVA SAFE journey all the way home BABZ! D xxxxx