Wednesday 8 September 2010

7th sep

7th Sep

Not doing much today. Had a bit off a rough night, felt a bit ill but woke up okay, took my medication and went down to the village in my PJs to get some food. The great thing here in the village is that any clothing is wearable outdoors. Fashion just don’t exist here. My Pjs are out doors attire and nobody batts an eyelid. Didnt brush my teeth comb my hair, wash my face, nothing, just put on my plimsolls and left the house. Wicked. Except, ya know those cute children that I always go on about, the village ones that cal me, black white lady and always run up to me to shake my hands...Well I wont be shaking their hands anymore as I witnessed, three of them doing a poo on the grass outside their house. Not even shy or anything just defecating together whilst a group of men were chatting about their goats a few yards away. These kids must just poo anywhere I thought. Also they use leafs to clean their arses and don’t wash their hands. Same hands that they use to greet me. Oh lord.
Also speaking of goats, I saw the most unusual thing this morning, two dogs, a puppy and a goat sitting next to each other chilling from the sun?
Oh yeah yesterday I forgot to mention that I met this American girl in the hospital, im not being rude or judgemental but the first thing I noticed was her obesity, not cause she was inadequately dressed but cause her pale white self was huffing and puffing down a corridor full of contrastingly deep brown emaciated Kenyans. She is a pre med in the USA. I asked her how she was enjoying her time here, she was like ive only been here a day and im jet lagged. I was like oh im sorry, how bout the hospital you like the place, she replied, AND NO LIE!

-‘Im a real germaphobe not use to hospitals like this’
something about this comment which kinda sums up a certain type of American, the kind from programmes like ‘the hills’ FUCKING CLUELESS AND A WASTER OF SPACE. Mind, this girl didn’t even have alcohol gel on her or a white coat. Germaphobe and a fool. Okay so i was judgemental there heyho.
Oh yeah on the way back home yesterday we were reminded of the perils of Kenyan nighttime. Morris the creepy Kenya guy (who I will talk in more detail about next week) managed to get a taxi to get us home as it was 8pm and Kenyan society shuts down after sunset. Everyone stays home and thats that. Well after leaving hospital, we saw a family bathing in the muddy water at the side of the road! Moriss laughed and called them mad. This is the same man who claims to be known for his compassion, kinda reminded me about what my mate Levi said once, -brand gestures are easy to make, its the small ones that count. Using the example of Morris I take this to mean that its easy for people to throw money around and make a point of doing big things (big things includes anything from emotions to actions) to show how nice they are (Exactly what Morriss does) but when it comes down to the small impulsive behaviours that we all have its here that a persons true self is reflected. Like I told Morriss that one of the village women wasn’t selling her cakes and I was worried that she may be having her baby, as she confided in me that she was having vaginal bleeding. In response to this he says in front of everyone, should I go and give her money. I was like er no she needs to be checked up on, not laden with catch. And so last night, in response to this families poverty instead of throwing money at them he laughed at the fact they were bathing in the dirty muddy water. He is so inconsistent like this. Outwardly nice and one to one a nasty egotistic moron. Man I have so much to say about this man.

Anyways, the charity rang me this afternoon, demanding that I get checked at a Nairobi hospital to make sure I was alright. I rejected this as im back next week and to be honest, all that can be done has been done here. I aint gonna die, ive got the right meds, im drinking, trying to eat, resting (sunbathing) and frankly im wicked. I felt so good for 4 hours that I chilled with the villagers this afternoon, and they now call me by my first name instead of black white girl, which is LOVELY. Im gonna be sad to go. This elective i thought was soley about me improving my medical skills, but not only have I done that (well sort of) ive managed to integrate myself into a well establish community, they are even sad to see me go!! NICE!

Oh yeah pure hilarity, as Kenya was a British colony for this reason I think all Kenyans have English first names. Thats not odd i hear ya say, BUT they pick names from the papers or choose names from famous people usually footballers. Today I met, Wayne Rooney Allen, a year and a half year old Kenyan baby boy. Pure jokes

No comments: