Tuesday 3 August 2010

1 st aug

1st August

Today was a lazy day for me. Una has left for Nairobi and I am living in the house alone. I wake up and in pure OCD fashion clean the place from top to bottom, this is particularly difficult in the absence of running tap water but I am getting really good at filling up water buckets and boiling the water etc etc. I do all the washing, sweep and actually tidy my clothes and stuff away. I think that today I officially moved in, yay. I managed to do all my washing too, yay, thank fuck for the travel wash i bought with me.

Today the sun was shining and I felt fine, and so i took the matatu to Siaya by myself. Damn, its a Sunday and everyone is either at church or having a day off, so the vibrant town that I remember a few days back was half empty. I still however managed to do some food shopping, but again was unable to upload my blog due to ‘technical problems’. Nothing much to write today, I had a nap then did some reading. I tell you what does annoy me though, one of our Kenyan helpers keeps asking me to text my friends in England and tell them that he says hi. Ergh this annoys me because men here think that if they can make a friend in the UK, this friend will send them money or fly them to England or even marry them. Unfortunately for them, I am here to end all of those thoughts. I told Morris (our Kenyan helper), that my friends in England only want to know about me. They do not do medicine and are young with partners. He was like, some little text with my name might make them interested, I said no Morris I am sorry, if you want a pen pal you should join an internet cafe. Honestly, one of the girls that was here before me, slept with one of the locals (which is heavily forbidden) and has decided to stay on in Kenya because she ‘loves him’ –she also rang her boyfriend in the US to tell him that their 5 year relationship was over. Needless to say the Charity were not alright with any of this and shes going back to the U, S of A without her Kenyan toy boy. –FOOL.

1 comment:

Celia Loves... said...

ill say hi back to morris!