Tuesday 17 August 2010

14th aug

14 August

Today the sun was shining. We hired a man with a van and took a day trip to kisumu. Ashley, Keara, me and Dutch family (that were staying at the orphanage) first went to Impala animal sanctuary. We had no idea what we would see and at first I was like this is gonna be shittttt!. As we entered the first thing in view was Lake Victoria, the second largest lake in the world (Lake Superior being the largest in USA) it is actually is 68 000 km2 and the deepest point is 81 m deep. Only 6% of the lake is in Kenya, 60% is in Tanzania and 34% is in the Uganda! As we looked across the lake, three hippos emerged from the water!! Beautiful! The best animals were to come thou!!. We wandered through the sanctuary amisely, all the animals were enclosed in chicken wire sections. We saw, buffalos and deer first. Boring. Actually, I lie they are beautiful animals but I wanted more. We next saw the cutest monkeys, that exposed themselves to me. I saw hyenas and jackals but the best was yet to come. The next enclosure contained a cheater it was beautiful! Ya know here in Kenya it seems that we are relied on to judge how safe it is to get really up close to the barbed wire. Seriously was only the barbed wire between us and the animals. The cheeter came right up close to the wire, I managed to get some amazing pictures. The next enclosure contained female lions and again we were so close that the we could touch the creature. Man these animals are beautiful, David attenboruogh was right!! In the next enclosure was the greatest animal of all! A male lion, it was just breathtaking, I ran like a small child right up to the wire. He was sat on a rock about 7 meters away, just basking in the sun, silent, magnificent and definitely the king of the animal kingdom. Its mane resembled the hair from a patch work dolly, its body was so golden, so smooth, so still, his eyes were on us, unafraid but surely poised to attack if need be. It got up and walked away from us, almost as if it was dismissing us as lower species. We were taking pictures furiously, no one had yet dared to get close to the barbed wire. As the lion walked away, I though ah fuck this, and climbed over the handrail and ran towards it. All that was between me and this killing machine was a thin barbed wired fence. I placed the lens of my camera in the wire holes, seriously a 1cm of air was all that was between me and the animal. Then suddenly out of bloody no where the animal, roars and lunges at me. FUCK ME i was scared, actually i don’t think i had time to be scared i literally back flipped , fell back onto my rucksuck, closed my eyes and expected my head to be eaten, seriously that barbed wired looked like it couldn’t contain chickens. Anyways a few seconds later i opened my eyes to the sounds of laughter from everyone. My heart was racing, i was terrified, my breath was caught in my throat but I was laughing out of pure and utter fear. That was the best moment of this trip so far, this animal, the biggest most ruthless killer in the animal kingdom would have eaten me if it wasn’t for the barbed wire, mate, i felt its breathe on my face. LION BREATHE. I still think of the moment now and my heart kind of sinks, I was so scared and I do not think that I have most that fast ever! –lol. Im gonna tell whoever will listen this story.

The zebra and the impalas in this sanctuary are allowed to roam free, and so we were fortunate enough to roam a field with this truly truly stunning animals. England has horses but Africa has zebra, beautiful, elegant Zebra. So much of the day so far I have only ever seen on the Tv and today for just twelve pounds I have had such memorable experiences. Today has today washed away the sadness of the week.

We then went to a lovely Kenyan hotel. Where we had good food but were ripped of by the staff. Next week I will write a blog about the experiences of being ripped off by the Kenyans. Its beginning to get a bit annoying but I don’t want to ruin a lovely blog and day with this subject.

Tomo, church. This will be interesting. I have my African garmes and im tanning nicely so hopefully il fit in –until i open my muzongo mouth lol.

Ah, A lion roared in my face today, lol a lion lunged at me, so bloody fabulous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I WISH! I saw that ahahahahahahahahahaha. I'm also a bit jealous, I'd love to narrowly escape from a blood-thirsty Leo! AMAZING! Dionce xxxxxx