Tuesday 10 August 2010

7th aug

7th August

Pure lazy day today, spent most of it reading, I have an insatiable desire to read. This delights me alot , not only have i not had the time to read these past months, I haven’t really been able to concentrate or follow a story line for more than fifteen minutes at a time. Ive got the hunger for reading bad, and I am worried cos, I bought about 5 or 6 books with me and ive read two already and I still have six weeks of this adventure left. Keara is coming on Monday, and so I am hoping that having a friend in the house will slow down my reading pace. Reading here is divine, I put a chair against the wall of the house and read in the sun for hours, I am totally content with, the sun, a bottle of water and my books. I did promise myself that I would read up on medical subjects that I find hard and or boring –antibiotics, immunity, male genitalia...but I haven’t and to be honest, i prob wont lol.
I have just finished reading a book entitled, “memoirs of an addict as a young man”, an autobiography by some guy called Bill Clegg. Light reading in contrast to Toni morrisions novels but amazing, nethertheless.
The author describes his downward spiral into crack addiction and subsequent loss of everything and one dear to him, his destructive childhood and the moments that he decided to end it all. It is beautifully written and really enabled me understand (as best one can without experiencing) crack addiction. I understand the desperateness and loss of control and failure of past relationships. Crack takes hold and destroys, no matter the persons desire to give up, it takes a strong person to turn their back to crack addiction and I admire those i know that have and don’t blame those I know that chose crack. Oh dear all gone a bit deep, anyhow, tomoz, im off to Kimisu to the Kenyan museum. Next week, Ive got an important dinner at the consultants’ house and will visit, some animals at the weekend.
Funny that I call this place home. When I think about ‘getting back’ from work i think of here. This is my home. The Kenyan landscape every now and again still makes me gasp but has become familiar scenery; I now recognise points on my way home. People’s faces are becoming familiar and I am becoming integrated in the community. I can say some random things in Swahili lol. I feel safe –I am lucky cause the consultant has decided that I am his daughter and so association with him has made me untouchable.-yay.

No comments: