Friday 27 August 2010

26th Aug

26th Aug

Im back in Siaya. Home. Man, I love village life. Really enjoyed my break in Mombasa but not so much my time in the Nairobi house though.
In the Nairobi house, there is running water, hot water, showers, toilets with seats and flushes, clean sheets, blankets food, English tea! The internet, comfortable sofas and a good nights sleep! But we are molly couddled and have no independence. There are four people to room and we have little privacy and quiet time. The house is a thorough fare for people beginning their African adventures or ending it and so people are only at the house for a few days at a time and to be honest ive discovered that I aint that good at small talk and frankly and running out the bedroom during the early hours of the morning after switching on the Emerson to warm the water and then running to the bathroom, before anyone else steals the precious water is just not my game. Asking people to leave the room as you moisturize confuses people. Going to bed early (eight o’clock for me as I like to read) can seem anti social but gal needs her sleep!. Also a lot of the people at the house are quite young, from 15 upwards and I guess if you know me, you know that I don’t really get on with teenagers –lol.
Anyhow, the house is great for a few days break but frankly I’m glad to be back to my village house!!!
On reflection, I think that being here has reinforced my self sufficient, independent nature. I wonder though can you be too independent? Sometimes, I think that my desire to do everything by myself and disallow help from anybody (control freak traits) in some ways keeps me strong and able to battle through most things, but at times I think it may make it hard for people to get close to me and I guess I’m a bit bad because I don’t give people a chance to be my friend because i think that I come across that I don’t-need-noone! Anyhow, I guess that’s why I love village life so much as I always have just one or two people with me in the house which is nice as, we become really close and tight knit. Unlike the Nairobi house where it is really hard to want to actually get close to anyone because in a few days they jog on home. With me for a week and a bit is Helen a fellow Medical student, from Imperial. She is so opposite to me. She is really friendly, bubbly, chatty and just an all round nice person. Initially I was like oh lord how am I gonna get on with this lovely girl, but shes great and to be honest I do like to mother people and I quite enjoy showing people the ropes and converting their town minds into the village way!!
The journey home was only 7 hours and when we arrived home it was so sunny, so nice!. I missed my neighbors, I missed having a shower when I wanna, sleeping when I wanna, doing what I bloody like and being able to walk around without notifying someone just in case I didn’t come back.
What I haven’t bloody missed is the bloody diarrhea (not literally mind) that I seem to have constantly here. Today (man I love talking about my bowel habits), I was welcomed home by acute travelers stomach which I had to deal with an audience of about 10 cockroaches. The cockroaches here are bloody massive, like rat size man with big long thin yucky yucky antennae. They are not afraid of humans and as I was relieving myself of all the food which I had consumed the week previous a,few decided that they would scuttle over my feet, and because I wear thronged slippers the stupid fuckers got stuck in-between my toes, ergh cockroachs on ya feet is grim, but i couldnt shake them off cos I was mid squatt and mid bowel motion. Grim times man. Gonna spray them fuckers away tomo cant be dealing with natures call and having to deal with natures vermin as well –nah mate.

Tomo is a national holiday! The ratification and signing of Kenyans new constitution is taking place in Nairobi. Woop im here when African history is taking place. AMAZING!

1 comment:

anitram_uk said...

Lady enjoy it while you can... back to work today for me boo! The animals sound amazing...love and miss ya Mx